With summer approaching, you may be thinking about turning on your air conditioning for the first time this year. If so, you’re not alone. In fact, many people turn their air conditioners on for the first time just as warm weather hits.
But that’s a mistake. You should turn on your air conditioner before the warm weather hits. That way you’ll know if there’s a problem with it and have time to fix it before you need it most.
By the end of spring, your air conditioner has been off for months. It’s not unusual for it to encounter problems when you turn it back on again, especially if there are any small issues that occurred when you turned it off last year.
If you discover a problem just as warm weather hits, you’ll have few options for fixing it quickly. Most HVAC technicians will only be able to fit you in at their earliest convenience—which is likely to be at least a week away due to the high demand for AC service in Broken Arrow that time of year.
However, if you turn your AC on right now, and find a problem with it, a Mullin Heating and Air Conditioning technician will be able to fix your unit much more quickly—in some cases even within 24 hours. So why wait!
Here are Some Things to Check Before You Turn Your Air Conditioner on for Summer
Before you call for AC service in Broken Arrow, there are some things you can do to keep your air conditioner running at optimal performance. Aside from having it serviced twice a year, in spring and fall, here are some other things that you should check for before firing up your unit:
- Change or clean your filter at least every three months
- Clear debris and obstructions from around your unit
- Look for signs of leaks or water damage
- Check refrigerant levels
- Clear away dirt and leaves from around the outdoor unit
- Make sure vents are clear and unobstructed
- Inspect your ductwork for leaks or damage (or ask us about our duct testing services)
- Make sure electrical connections are safe and secure
By keeping up with these things you can help your air conditioner run more efficiently and will ultimately create a more energy efficient home.
5 Things That Could Be Wrong With Your Air Conditioning System
There are many reasons why the air conditioning system might not be working at its best and could require AC service. Here are five of the most common problems:
- Your unit is low on coolant. The AC needs a specific amount of refrigerant in order to cool the air properly. If your AC isn’t cooling, it could be because there isn’t enough refrigerant in the system.
- Your condenser coils are dirty. The condenser coil is an essential part of the air conditioning system, so it’s important that you keep it clean. Dirt and debris can prevent your unit from working efficiently.
- Your air filter is clogged. A dirty or clogged air filter will reduce airflow and make it harder for your system to cool your home.
- Your fan motor is broken. The fan motor inside your outdoor unit might be broken if your outdoor unit keeps running but doesn’t blow any air through the vents inside your home.
- You have an electrical problem. Electricity has to flow freely in order for the AC to work properly, so if something is amiss with your electrical components, you may need an electrician to fix it before you can get back to enjoying a cool, comfortable home.
If you find you need professional AC service in Broken Arrow, don’t hesitate to call Mullin Heating and Air Conditioning. We are readily available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get your AC up and running in no time.
In Need of AC Service in Broken Arrow, OK? Call Mullin Heating and Air Conditioning
You should turn on your AC for the same reason you’d turn on any major appliance: because you want to make sure it works properly before you actually need it.
If everything seems to be in order, great! You can simply set your thermostat where you need it and start enjoying cool indoor temperatures while you wait for warmer weather to arrive in full force. If there are problems, however, catching them early means you’ll have plenty of time to get them taken care of before they become more serious.
Preventative measures are always better than waiting until there’s an issue to address. This is especially true when it comes to something as important as your home’s heating and cooling system. Call Mullin Heating and Air Conditioning at (918) 209-3306, and let us help you get your AC ready for summer.