Electricity literally powers our lives, yet we give very little thought to preparing for or handling an electrical emergency or power outage. If you don’t have an emergency electrician’s number on hand, just in case, perhaps you should!
Top Reasons You Might Need An Emergency Electrician
- Your fuses keep blowing: It is normal for a fuse to blow out every so often, but if you find yourself replacing a fuse frequently, you may have a problem. This is often a sign that your fuse box needs to be upgraded, which is a job that should be done by a licensed electrician.
- If your appliances or light switches feel warm: If you notice that an appliance is warm when it has not been used, that is an undeniable sign of danger and you should contact an emergency electrician immediately.
- Your lights flicker: If your lights flicker when you turn on a certain appliance or plug in your vacuum cleaner it is an indicator that your power circuits are being overwhelmed by demand. An emergency electrician can add more power outlets or even put certain appliances on their own circuits. This can help with any overloaded outlets as well.
- You have lots of extension cords: Extension cords can be great in some instances , but they are not a long term fix for major appliances. They can create both fire and trip hazards within your home. It is better to call an electrician who can add outlets to needed rooms for safety and comfort.
- You use too many light bulbs: When light bulbs aren’t lasting as long as they should it is a sign that your home’s electrical system is not efficient. This is a good indicator it may be time for electrical repair or maintenance.
- Switches or appliances shock you: Just like when they feel warm this is an undeniable sign of danger. You should contact an emergency electrician immediately.
- Your electrical outlets are outdated: Older outlets only have two prongs, which means they are outdated. Newer outlets have space for three prongs which is a safety feature that allows them to be grounded. If you see that your outlets only have two prongs, it’s time to upgrade.
- You have an unusually high electric bill: If you get an electric bill that looks out of the norm and you haven’t made any major changes, that is a pretty good indication that there is a problem. You will want to have your electrical system checked out by a professional.
Know an Emergency Electrician to Call
If you are in Broken Arrow, OK, Mullin Plumbing, Inc. is always available 24/7 for emergency calls. You don’t want to scramble at the last minute looking for an emergency electrician to help you in the event there’s an emergency electrical issue. It is far better to have a reputable emergency electrician’s number already on hand.
Have an Operable Fire Extinguisher at Home
Fires are one of the greatest hazards caused by faulty electrical equipment. Having a working fire extinguisher could save your life and your property. The best fire extinguishers for electrical fires are ones that use carbon dioxide, ammonium phosphate or sodium and potassium bicarbonate.
Do NOT Touch Someone Who Was Electrocuted
You will be in danger of being shocked if you touch someone who was electrocuted. It is best to cut off the electrical supply and call 911! Then immediately contact an emergency electrician to fix this electrical problem, ASAP!
Do NOT Touch Fallen Power Lines
Fallen power lines may still be live and can shock you. Do NOT touch them! Contact your local emergency electrician to come out and safely assess the situation.
Make a Plan
It is always better to be prepared in case of any emergency, and electrical emergencies are no exception. Electricity can be very dangerous, so don’t take any chances by trying to do it yourself. If you are concerned that you have a problem, call an emergency electrician like Mullin Plumbing, Inc. today!