Septic systems help remove waste from appliances and fixtures down and out of the house into the nearest sewage system. If your property has a septic system, it is much easier in the long term to provide general maintenance on a regular basis as opposed to letting damage add up until it is costly and time-consuming. But how do you do that?
At Mullin Inc, our company provides numerous services to contribute to the overall functionality of the house. This includes plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and septic system services. We aim to be the trusted technician team for any home repair your family may need, and we believe there is no limit to our services. Read on to learn about ways you can help increase your septic tank’s longevity through proper care.
Proper Waste Disposal
When considering proper waste disposal, it is important to manage what you flush out of your home through the septic system. The only things that should be disposed of through the septic system are human waste and toilet paper. Everything that goes down your various drains (including the toilet, shower, bath, sinks, and garbage disposal) will impact and affect how your overall septic system functions.
Inside of your septic system, there is a collection and abundance of living organisms that help treat and digest household waste. Pouring toxic materials down your drain can kill these organisms and harm the health of your septic system. Make sure to never pour cooking oil, grease, oil-based paint, solvents, and large volumes of toxic cleaners down the drain.
Maintain Your Drainfield
The drainfield is an important and necessary component of your septic system that helps remove contaminants from the liquid that emerges from underneath your septic tank. In order to properly maintain it, you should ensure the following:
- Do not park or drive vehicles onto the drainfield, as this will compress the ground and restrict flow in the drainfield.
- Plant trees far enough away from the drainfield to make sure their roots do not grow into the septic system. A professional, like the team from Mullin Inc, can provide proper advice for this based on your landscape and septic system size.
- Keep roof drains, sump pumps, and all rainwater drainage systems away from the drainfield area. Excess and additional water slows and potentially stops the wastewater treatment process.
Efficient Water Use
The typical household utilizes a ton of water day in and day out. In fact, the typical individual consumes 70 gallons of water each day. One leak or running toilet can tack on up to 200 additional gallons of water per day.
All water that enters and leaves the house cycles through the septic system. By conserving water, you minimize the amount of water that can potentially cause issues to the septic system below. In order to help save water and use it more efficiently, you should follow some of these guidelines:
- Utilize high-efficiency toilets
- Utilize high-efficiency showerheads
- Utilize high-efficiency washing machines
- Avoid washing small laundry loads on large load settings
- Spread laundry efforts throughout the week to minimize buildup on one particular day
- Purchase appliances with Energy Star labels
A professional septic service crew should inspect the system at least every three years. These systems are also pumped every three to five years. Alternative systems that include float switches, pumps, and other mechanical components will have to be monitored and inspected more often (around once a year) to ensure the small components are still functioning to full capacity. These systems are more finicky and susceptible to damage, so, therefore, they need to be monitored more heavily.
Factors that influence the frequency of septic plumbing services include:
- Household size
- Total wastewater generated
- Amount of solids in the wastewater
- Size of the septic tank
Septic Services and More From Mullin Inc.
Whether you know about issues plaguing your septic system or you are just curious to learn about it and ensure it is in proper working order, the team at Mullin Inc. is here to help. We offer services in many different fields and have gained expertise and mastery in all fields that we service. For more information or to get started today, don’t hesitate to contact us! We hope to help you soon.